Many more people are getting involved in crafts nowadays. Some will simply take up a craft as a hobby whilst others will use it to run a small business. There are many different ways to learn crafts here. Some people will be self-taught in that they will learn as they go along and may use information on the Internet or in books to learn the craft that they are interested in.
Other people may take specialist courses to learn crafts. These may involve simply going to workshops that last an hour or two, regular courses such as evening classes that may last for a few weeks or specific college courses that can last for a number of years.
Popular crafts at the moment include:
- Card making - here the person will make their own greetings cards either for fun or to sell to other people. There are various paper based crafts that may help here including decoupage.
- Glass - there are various options here including glass painting/etching, glass blowing and stained glass projects.
- Embroidery/sewing - people here may learn cross stitch, quilt making, dress making, leather work or tapestry, for example.
- Knitting type crafts - options here include knitting, crocheting, tatting, lace making and macramé.
- Scrapbooking - this has become a very popular craft in recent years. Here you will put together a scrapbook using various types of methods.
- Woodworking - some people will learn how to carve their own wooden products or to work with wood in various ways including marquetry.
- Pottery - many people will take up pottery and will make their own pots and clay products.
- Flower arranging/making - flower arranging courses are popular here as are artificial flower classes that teach people how to make their own artificial flowers.